Penetration Testing – Definition
Penetration Testing or pen testing is a method of testing an organization’s data defense from a controlled ethical hacking environment. Scope of the penetration test is defined and a penetrating testing company will attempt to hack into a company’s network to expose and exploit organization’s network weaknesses.With the rise of threats, many ‘would be cyber’ companies are jumping on the cyber security bandwagon, offering a variety of solutions to the market place, often times ill equipped and lacking the proper experience to successfully manage the right cyber security solutions and proactive network security testing.
Perform a search for security assessment or penetration testing and you’ll find everyone from insurance adjusters to lawyers offering cyber security. Though these type of companies may be good at what they do for other things, they are definitely not a good choice for penetration testing or in providing the proper network data management and protection.
Top Rated Penetration Testing Companies
The top rated list of Penetration Testing Companies is based on companies that offer true penetration testing (pen testing) with remediation planning, and does not include the variety of do-it-yourself penetration testing software.
Best Penetration Testing Companies Rated:
To determine the list of top penetration testing companies in the USA, a ‘mock pentest’ was requested from 30 plus providers and based on response or lack of response many companies that state they provide pen-testing did not make the top rated list. The list does not contain do-it-yourself or the one-size-fits-all offerings. This list of the top penetration testing service providers have been identified by measuring the following review criteria.
- Timely response and overall customer experience
- Comparison of Sample Reports
- Support Information available
- Credentials and Certifications
- Scoping Discussion with engineer
- Price and Value
Redbot Security can customize a penetration testing scope based for any size client project and budget. Redbot Security penetration testing team is ranked on the world’s ethical hacker list within the top 5 spots and have performed penetration testing work for companies ranging from Fortune 100 to SMBs. Redbot Security scoping and detailed remediation reporting is the cleanest and most comprehensive in the industry. Redbot also provides PCI DSS Attestation and PCI DSS Compliance services.
In addition, Redbot Security penetration testing is reviewed and analyzed by a team of Sr. Level Engineers that have worked in the space for over 20 years and manage real world threat detection for many large enterprise companies, daily.
Redbot Security Certifications
Redbot Security Penetration team has over 250 Top level certification including: Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP), GIAC Penetration Tester (GPEN) GIAC Web Application Penetration Tester (GWAPT), EC Council Certified Ethical Hacker C|EH, Certified Digital Forensic Examiner (CDFE) Defense Cyber Crime Institute (DCITA) DoD, Certified Digital Media Collector (CDMC) Defense Cyber Crime Institute (DCITA) DoD, Certified Information Assurance Security Officer (IASO) DoD. Penetration Certification, CISSP, Security+, CCNP, CCNA, CCDP, CCDA, MCSE, A+ CWNA CWDP and a variety of firewall and network solution Certifications.
The Redbot Security Penetration team reviews and analyzes the exploits and vulnerabilities and is able to manage complete remediation after the penetration testing is complete and provides a free retest of remediated vulnerabilities.
Redbot Security Red Team
Redbot Security also is able to deploy red-team security at a moments notice and can perform penetration testing across multiple systems, applications, IoT and wireless. Free vulnerabilities tools, compliance control measurements for GDPR, HIPAA, PCI, NIST, SOX, COBIT and the industry’s leading comprehensive security assessments are available to compliment a complete and full security package. Redbot’s Penetration testing process is clearly defined and each project deploys a senior level, fully certified USA based engineer.
Redbot Security Project Management and Scoping
Redbot Security’s Project scoping is based on customer budget and constraints and can be customized for small to enterprise businesses. Redbot specializes in External, Internal, wireless, Web App and Web service Penetration testing. Redbot Penetration Testing engineers are also highly proficient with SCADA / ICS. Contact Redbot Here.
- Read More Tips for how to select the Best Penetration Team for your project. View Article Here
- View Best Practice Penetration Scoping Process – View Page Here
- Learn More about Penetration Testing vs Vulnerability Assessments Here
- Dive Deeper into What is Penetration Testing and Penetration Testing Tools Here
2. Secureworks Penetration Testing
Secureworks approaches every penetration test as unique to every organization. Our methodology is performed by the industry’s top security testers, leveraging our proprietary tactics and intelligence from the Secureworks Counter Threat Unit™. Both Penetration and Advanced Penetration Tests are designed to show how an attacker would gain unauthorized access to your environment by compromising in-scope systems and highlight pivoting opportunities from compromised hosts. Based on the findings, Secureworks will discuss the findings with all relevant audiences and provide a customized course of action for both leadership and technical audiences.
3. FireEye Penetration Testing
FireEye cyber security products combat today’s advanced persistent threats (APTs). As an integral piece of an Adaptive Defense strategy, our state-of-the-art network security offerings protect against cyber attacks that bypass traditional signature-based tools such as antivirus software, next-generation firewalls, and sandbox tools. The company offers penetration testing through a 3rd party with additional support for remediation which has them join our Top Penetration Testing Company list.
4. Rapid7 Penetration Testing
At Rapid7, we believe in simplifying the complex through shared visibility, analytics, and automation that unite your teams around challenges and successes of cybersecurity. Whether you’re looking for a comprehensive security platform, an assessment to better understand your security posture, or something in between, we’ve got your back.
5. VeraCode Penetration Testing
Veracode Manual Penetration Testing (MPT) complements Veracode’s automated scanning technologies with best-in-class penetration testing services to find business logic and other complex vulnerabilities in web, mobile, desktop, back-end and IoT applications. Using a proven process to ensure high customer satisfaction, Veracode MPT provides detailed results, including attack simulations, through the Veracode Application Security Platform, where both manual and automated testing results are assessed against your corporate policy. Developers can consult Veracode application security consultants on the findings and retest uncovered vulnerabilities to verify successful remediation.
Think someone else should be on the list of top rated penetration testing companies? Let us know and we’ll review their offerings. Here is comparison of Top USA Penetration Testing Firms (read full review here)
When should your organization perform a Penetration Test?
- Perform Penetration Testing with the addition of new network infrastructure devices or applications
- Upgrades, Modifications, Patches, Firewall Changes made to infrastructure and applications
- When Policy, Compliance and regulation changes. its time to order a penetration test
- New locations should be Pen-tested
Discover Gaps In Compliance
Using penetration testing as a means to identify gaps in compliance is a bit closer to auditing than true security engineering, but experienced penetration testers often breach a perimeter because someone did not get all the machines patched, or possibly because a non-compliant machine was put up “temporarily” and ended up becoming a critical resource. In today’s heavily regulated environment, many organizations are looking for better ways to continually assess their compliance posture. Most regulations have multiple components specifically related to system auditing and security.
Top Rated Penetration Testing Companies typically have the ability to scope a wide range of projects. When searching for the Best Penetration Testing Company for your project, you’ll need to clearly define your goals and expectations. Larger Penetration Testing Firms might turn away your project if it is on the smaller scale, since their top engineers are working on larger, more time intensive projects.
Different Types of Penetration Tests
- External or Internal Network Penetration Testing
- Web Application Penetration Testing
- Mobile Application Penetration Testing
- IoT and Internet-Aware Device Testing
- Social Engineering/ Client Awareness Penetration Testing
- Red Team Attack Simulation
- Wireless Network Penetration Testing
- Black-Box | Grey-Box | White-Box
Many Penetration tests performed by the Top Penetration Testing Companies will include common hacking techniques and may or may not include the use of automated Penetration Testing tools along with manual Penetration Testing.
- Generic vulnerability tests: Attempt to determine the presence of known vulnerabilities and to exploit them. This includes vulnerabilities related to legitimately provided services such as HTTP, FTP, SMTP mail exchangers and gateways, DNS, IMAP/POP, file and print sharing services, etc.
- Network characteristics and topology tests: Attempt to determine the presence and exploit vulnerabilities relate to network topology, network components configuration and design principles and protocol specific characteristics. These includes tests that consider spoofing techniques, protocol specific tests such as usage of IP options, fragmentation, exploit of trust relationships, protocol encapsulation, routing tricks, design and implementation flaws in several network protocols and related services, etc.
- Miss-configuration tests: Attempt to identify and exploit typical miss-configuration problems.
- VLAN Isolation: Verify that the different functional network segments are physically or logically isolated. For example, that the servers and workstations are isolated on the target network.
Please include attribution to Redbot Security with this graphic.
Addition Penetration Testing Information and Penetration Testing Reference Material
NIST SP 800-115
“Penetration testing can be useful for determining:
- How well the system tolerates real world-style attack patterns
- The likely level of sophistication an attacker needs to successfully compromise the system
- Additional countermeasures that could mitigate threats against the system
- Defenders’ ability to detect attacks and respond appropriately.
Penetration testing can be invaluable, but it is labor-intensive and requires great expertise to minimize the
risk to targeted systems. Systems may be damaged or otherwise rendered inoperable during the course of
penetration testing, even though the organization benefits in knowing how a system could be rendered
inoperable by an intruder. Although experienced penetration testers can mitigate this risk, it can never be
fully eliminated. Penetration testing should be performed only after careful consideration, notification,
59 SANS White Papers
“Web Application Penetration Testing for PCI
The Verizon 2014 Data Breach Investigations Report reported 3,937 total web application related incidents, with 490 confirmed unauthorized data disclosures (Verizon, 2014)”
OWASP Top 10 Most Critical Web Application Security Risks
The OWASP Top 10 is a powerful awareness document for web application security. It represents a broad consensus about the most critical security risks to web applications. Project members include a variety of security experts from around the world who have shared their expertise to produce this list.
We urge all companies to adopt this awareness document within their organization and start the process of ensuring that their web applications minimize these risks. Adopting the OWASP Top 10 is perhaps the most effective first step towards changing the software development culture within your organization into one that produces secure code.
Learn More Here
Open Source Security Testing Methodology Manual (OSSTMM)
OSSTMM is a methodology to test the operational security of physical locations, workflow, human security testing, physical security testing, wireless security testing, telecommunication security testing, data networks security testing and compliance. OSSTMM can be supporting reference of IOS 27001 instead of a hands-on penetration testing guide.
OSSTMM includes the following key sections:
- Operational Security Metrics
- Trust Analysis
- Work Flow.
- Human Security Testing
- Physical Security Testing
- Wireless Security Testing
- Telecommunications Security Testing
- Data Networks Security Testing
- Compliance Regulations
- Reporting with the STAR (Security Test Audit Report)
Learn More Here
Application Software Security – 11 recommended implementation measures:
- Implement a Web Application Firewall (WAF)
- Error checking all input
- Use an automated scanner to look for security weaknesses
- Output sanitization of error messages
- Segregation development and production environments
- Secure code analysis, manual and automated
- Verify vendor security processes
- Database configuration hardening
- Train developers on writing secure code
- Remove development artifacts from production code
While many controls are definitely of a technical nature, it is important to distinguish the way in which controls differ from coding techniques. Many things we might think of as controls, should more properly be put into coding standards or guidelines. As an example, NIST SP800-53 suggests five controls related to session management:
- Concurrent Session Control
- Session Lock
- Session Termination
- Session Audit
- Session Authenticity
Note that three of these are included within the category of Access Controls. In most cases, NIST explicitly calls for the organization to define some of the elements of how these controls should be implemented.
Learn More Here